Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Desire to Recover

Hey blogworld.
I feel weird posting right now because there's something I've been meaning to send to a friend and I'm embarassed to show my face online. Friend - I PROMISE YOU I am going to get that video to you in the morning. I know I said I'd do it this afternoon and when I send it to you I will explain why it's taken me so long.
That said...it is, as I've come to call them, a "ridiculous hour of morning" yet again as it almost always is when I engage online. There are less than noble reasons for this. Hell, let's be real here - I binge and purge all night long. That's "where I'm at" right now. And it's 4:30 in the morning and I'm just getting to my current, probably less-than-helpful-for-sleep "before bed" routine, which includes being online.

/end preamble. I was thinking today about desire - specifically the desire to recover, the desire to get better. I think there's a lot of value in that desire, because it's reasonable to assume that if it's not present a person will not act on it, right? I didn't realize just how much I will probably be referencing the things I've learned in my 12 step program in this blog and please bear with me because this is tricky due to the anonymous nature of 12 step. So I won't be naming my program, and I'll have to be careful when writing about it. Now - the program I have been in since I was 17 years old states that the only requirement for membership is "the desire to stop". There's no other prerequisite and I respect that very much. You don't have to be intelligent, or pretty, or even nice or respectful because the common mission is to help people - all people who want help - find relief from active addiction.
Desire is a good starting point. The thing is, I think, with eating disorders and addiction that desire wavers. It's not reliable 100% of the time. When things get tough, it may dwindle or appear to evaporate for a period of time.
I absolutely have the desire to find freedom from my eating disorder. I long for it. I suffer intensely and have been greatly compromised in many ways. Eating disorders are ILLNESSES - real, whole mental illnesses. I and many others are SICK with this thing. It is not an easy thing to recover from and I think that is largely due to the fear that sometimes/often trumps that desire to be well. (Sidenote - another concept I was introduced to thanks to 12 step is "Spiritual Opposites" - as in love/hate, dishonesty/honesty, and so on. A good friend of mine has said before that she believes fear's spiritual opposite is love - which is confusing at first but after some thought I grew to find that startlingly insightful and kind of brilliant. Think about it.)
A funny thing about desire is that a person can have multiple, conflicting ones - the desire to be well versus the desire to remain eating disordered (or the desire to not give up certain things about the eating disorder)...I'm not sure where I'm going with this. I'm trying to segway into how I was feeling earlier today.
I was feeling sad because I wanted to not-give-a-crap about food. I wanted to be able to enjoy what I was eating and not worry about what I was going to "do" about it or if I was going to do anything about it or how many calories were in it or how I'd hide what I was doing if I did anything about it or what it would do to my body if I did nothing about it, and blahblahblahfuckingblah, on and on and on...I felt so trapped that I almost started crying. There's absolutely an element of personal responsibility here that I'm struggling with, but please be aware that I can see that it is there. Right now things are kind of a complicated mess - my therapist insists it has a lot to do with malnourishment/starvation - but what it's ultimately going to come down to is altering my behavior, right? That's another thing 12 step places heavy emphasis on, is ACTION. Taking actual actions and/or not taking certain actions.
Anyway, later - an hour or so ago - I was browsing a recovered person's facebook page. She's pretty public about her recovery and I think she's awesome. I was looking through her photos and realizing that wow, this woman is in so many ways the embodiment of who I want to be "when I'm in recovery/recovered". She's able to appreciate so many of the things I sense I'd appreciate and like, too, if my every waking moment weren't riddled with this thing. She likes poetry, literature, coffee and tea, cats, music, academia, crafts, politics...and going through her albums I felt a familiar pang of longing. A longing to, for the love of god, start actually living the life I've fantasized about creating for myself and filling it with the things I dream about. I really want that.

Oy. I couldn't tell you if I really believe in my bones that any of this is possible for me, but I have been trying to have faith in the people who have recovered who say that they doubted it, too, and that it damn well was. Trying to believe the tons of people who also thought they were the exception to the rule but discovered they weren't that I'm not an exception, either.
It's hard. Things are really ugly right now. One foot in front of the other, I guess - read a little and go to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Being a blogger myself, I find it makes a person feel a little better to receive comments on what they write since they are taking a huge step in putting themselves on the page plain as day for everyone to see. The more and more I hear from you, the more and more I admire what you are doing. I am fairly certain I know this recovered person of which you are speaking and I have to say she is an inspiration to very many. I would not be the person I am today without her and I am so glad that after seventeen years of simply knowing of her, I am finally starting to really know her. And I love her. And I will keep you in my prayers and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christine,
    Thank you so much - it does help to know people are reading. Actually, part of why I decided to start a BLOG is because I've been having a really difficult time journalling lately in my personal journal - which is extremely uncharacteristic, but I think I feel lacking in identity and so it ends up looking like some kid's math homework, if you catch my drift, and that's totally inconducive to my life. When I know people are reading or I know that they could I feel a little more like a person, you know? A little more real and grounded and...legitimate, or valid or worthy. A little more sane, basically. I haven't written about it yet but for the last several months I've basically been holing up at my parents' home, which is on the other end of the country from where I live, and I haven't seen or talked to any of the friends I have left much. I think the isolation has taken a significant toll on my ability to feel real.
    I really appreciate that you said that about admiring what I'm doing! I'm not in good shape but I do think I've grown a lot in the last few years, and sometimes I actually suspect there's a pretty cool human being underneath all of my crap :-P. It's those moments I'm trying to focus on - and that person I'm trying to focus on...that person I feel like might actually have a lot to offer to other people. I feel like I might be worth it.
    :-) Wow, seventeen years? She seems like a good person to know. I've been letting her know the good effect her sharing of herself online has had on me...her insight is pretty amazing and it's been a gift to have access to some of her thoughts regarding this issue and recovery.
    Thank you so much. I can't wait until I can share of my experience in recovery - which incidentally is uh, coming up way sooner than I expected. I'm going into treatment this week (just worked that out today and it was really sudden, but honestly after making the decision and having the professionals tell me over the phone that waiting seems a little delusional if I don't have to, I'm glad I am. Just scared/nervous.)
    I appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is indeed an amazing person to know. I feel doubly blessed because she is also my cousin. I was actually talking to her yesterday about how having as big of a family as we do really makes it harder to really get to know someone individually. For a while before I really got to know her she was simply "one of my Maxfield cousins" and I to her was "one of Damian's kids". I can see how isolation could make a person feel less real and I'm so happy for you to be able to go in on such short notice, despite how scared/nervous you are. My thoughts and prayers will be with you this whole time. Also, I just told Mary yesterday that I have just started to research a speech I will be giving for a class to persuade them on how insurance should start covering treatment for eating disorders. She was really excited, as was I because I know she will help me every time I need it and that will bring us even closer together. I appreciate you as well.

    ReplyDelete